The 4th Sustainable Process Integration Laboratory Scientific Conference
Energy, Water, Emission & Waste in Industry and Cities
18-20 November 2020 (Online)
LATEST UPDATE :
Presented works (with active participation) in SPIL’ 20 will be entitled to the selection of Invitation to Special Issue.
- Energy, Elsevier (Impact Factor = 6.082)
- Clean Technologies and Environmental Policy (Impact Factor = 2.429)
Due to participation from 56 countries over 16 time zones, it is not possible to make a live opening and as it will solve presentations from
• Doc. Ing. Jiří Hlinka, Ph.D. (Vice-Dean for Outer Relations, Collaboration with Industry; Head of NETME Centre)
• Prof. Ing. Jiří Klemeš, DSc., dr. h. c. (Head of SPIL)
under the session of Introductory Talks. The direct link to the conference platform will be sent via email on 17 November 2020.
Registration fees are waived (no fees). However, registration is compulsory by 21 October 2020. An electronic version of certificates will be provided for presenters and active participants*.
Type of Participation:
- Presenters: Registration, Presentation Title and Abstract are needed. Full text is not required. Presenter will need to upload narrated slides (pre-recorded video around 10-15 minutes) at the later stage (by 10 November 2020).
- Regular Participants: Registration is needed (create an account at the designated registration platform and make sure to fill in the personal information)
A virtual conference platform will be available for watching ALL presentations and asking questions through comment sections. *Participants are encouraged to actively involved in asking questions/comments and discussion (e.g. answering the questions) during the conference.
The platform for video submission (narrated slides) is now ready. Please log in to your COMET SPIL account for the detailed instruction.
Invited Plenary Lectures
6 World-Leading Researchers (and Journal Editors) are invited as plenary speakers to provide the up-to-date insight of their respective expertise
Prof Ferenc Friedler, Szechenyi Istvan University (Hungary)
Short Biography: The main research activity of Professor Ferenc Friedler is related to the developments and applications of effective methods for process design and operation, especially, for process network synthesis, heat exchanger network synthesis, process integration, energy savings, supply chain management, wastewater treatment, process reliability engineering, and batch process scheduling. Together with late Professor L.T. Fan, he is a co-founder of the P-graph framework that provides a theoretical basis for a wide range of applications in process systems engineering. He supervised more than 100 national and international R&D projects. Founder, chair, and co-chair of international scientific conferences and founder of academic organizations including university faculty. He was the rector of University of Pannonia in Hungary from 2011 to 2015. Currently, he is a professor at Széchenyi István University, Győr, Hungary, also he is a member of the Board of the European Federation of Chemical Engineers (EFCE) and member of the Computer Aided Process Engineering Working Party of the EFCE. Honored with several awards including Knight’s Cross Order of Merit and John von Neumann Prize.
Prof Henrik Lund, Aalborg University (Denmark)
Short Biography: Prof. Henrik Lund, is a Danish engineer (M.Sc.Eng.1985) and Professor in Energy Planning at Aalborg University in Denmark. He holds a Ph.D. in Implementaion of Sustainable Energy Systems (1990), and a Dr.Techn. in Choice Awareness and Renewable Energy Systems (2009). He is a highly ranked world-leading researcher and listed among ISI Highly Cited researchers ranking him among the top 1% researchers in the world within engineering. Henrik Lund has many years of management experience as head of department. During his time the Sustainable Energy Planning research group at Aalborg University has now grown to approx. 30 staff members including 5 professors. Prof Henrik Lund is the Editor-in-Chief of Elsevier’s high-impact journal Energy with annual 9000+ submissions. He is the author of more than 400 books and articles including the book ”Renewable Energy Systems”. He is the architect behind the advanced energy system analysis software EnergyPLAN, which is a freeware used worldwide that have form the basis of more than 100 peer reviewed journal papers around the world.
Prof Ibrahim Dincer, Ontario Tech. University (Canada)
Short Biography: Prof. Ibrahim Dincer is recognized for his pioneering works in the area of sustainable energy technologies and has authored/co-authored numerous books and book chapters, and many refereed journal and conference papers. He has chaired many national and international conferences, symposia, workshops and technical meetings. He has delivered many keynote and invited lectures. He is an active member of various international scientific organizations and societies, and serves as editor-in-chief, associate editor, regional editor, and editorial board member on various prestigious international journals. He is a recipient of several research, teaching and service awards, including the Premier’s research excellence award in Ontario, Canada. During the past five years he has been recognized by Thomson Reuters as one of the Most Influential Scientific Minds in Engineering and one of the Most Highly Cited Researchers.
Prof Panos Seferlis, Aristotle University of Thessaloniki (Greece)
Short Biography: Prof. Panos Seferlis is a Professor at the School of Mechanical Engineering of Aristotle University of Thessaloniki and a Senior Researcher at the Chemical Process and Energy Resources Institute of the Centre for Research and Technology – Hellas. His main research interests are in the area of process systems engineering with emphasis in separation, reactor, and energy conversion systems as well as the design and control of complex mechanical systems. Particular focus is placed on the integration of materials selection, process design, and control system design for enhanced sustainability, improved dynamic performance and optimal economic impact. He has authored more than 250 articles in scientific journals, conference proceedings and book chapters. He is currently serving as an Associate Editor in Journal of Cleaner Production. He has been the editor in two collective volumes and acted as guest editor in several journal special issues. He has coordinated several research projects at the European and National level whereas he is participating in a leading position in several projects involving sustainable process design, advanced control systems and defence applications.
Prof Vivien Lu Lin, The Hong Kong Polytechnic University (Hong Kong SAR China)
Short Biography: As a 2018 highly cited researcher by Clarivate Analytics, Prof. Lu is an outstanding researcher in building science and engineering with high local and international impact in both academia and industry. Prof. Lu has published 5 books/handbook chapters and over 180 SCI-cited journal papers, resulting in an H-index of 40. Her research findings have been adopted by researchers in over 60 countries and by the local government in its policy guidelines for renewable energy. She has/had been an editor/guest editor of several journals including Applied Energy, International Journal of Sustainability, Energy and Built Environment, etc. Her current research interests are in the area of green building technologies with the focus on renewable energy applications and technology development in buildings, fluid mechanics and heat/mass transfer related to building science and engineering, and green building nanomaterial development.
Ir. Dr Chong Wen Tong, University of Malaya (Malaysia)
Short Biography: Dr. Chong joined the Department of Mechanical Engineering, University of Malaya (UM) after spending 10 years in various industries. He is a Chartered Engineer registered by the Engineering Council (UK). He is the Head, UM Centre for Energy Sciences. He has filed 12 intellectual property rights and won the First Prize of National-Intellectual-Property-Award 2016 and WIPO Medal for Inventors (Cross-Axis-Wind-Turbine). Dr. Chong has won more than 25 invention and innovation awards. He is the Editorial Board Member of the International Journal of Energy Research and International Journal of Precision Engineering and Manufacturing-Green Technology. He is the Conference Chair of International Conference on Sustainable Energy and Green Technology. In 2018, Dr. Chong was awarded the WSSET Innovation Award (Renewable Energy Systems) and conferred with the Darjah Ahli Mahkota Perlis award by The Raja of Perlis. Recently, Dr. Chong was selected for the 2019 Top Research Scientists Malaysia by the Academy of Sciences Malaysia.
Invited Speakers/Guests of Honour
4 Guests of Honour with spinoff companies and industrial research background are invited for knowledge exchanging
Prof Petr Stehlik, Dr.h.c., Brno University of Technology (Czech Republic)
- Director of Institute of Process Engineering, Brno University of Technology
- Vice President of the Czech Society of Chemical Engineering
- Member of Supervisory Board and Co-founder of EVECO Brno, engineering and contracting company which closely cooperates with academia and whose research activities are based on up-to-date research and development results and distinct innovative potential (1996 – present)
- Consultant for HTRI, worldwide recognized research company (Heat Transfer Research, Inc.), College Station, Texas, USA (1991 – 1996, 2011 – present)
- Implementation of novel DeDiox technology, W.L.GORE & Assoc., USA, Germany (2002 – present)
Prof Robin Smith, The University of Manchester (United Kingdom)
- Director of the Centre for Process Integration in the School of Chemical Engineering and Analytical Science of The University of Manchester.
- Co-founder of Process Integration Limited and Process Asset Integration Management Limited (ProAim), both spin-out companies from the University.
- Extensive industrial experience with Rohm & Haas in process investigation, production and process design, and with ICI in process modelling and process integration.
- Acted extensively as a consultant to industry in process integration projects.
- Fellow of the Royal Academy of Engineering
- Fellow IChemE
Prof Soteris Kalogirou, Cyprus University of Technology (Cyprus)
- Professor and the Dean of Faculty of Engineering and Technology, Cyprus University of Technology, Limassol, Cyprus.
- Fellow of the European Academy of Sciences and Founding Member of the Cyprus Academy of Sciences, Letters and Arts.
- For 35 y actively involved in research in the area of solar energy, in various types of solar collectors, solar water and space heating, solar steam generating systems, desalination and absorption cooling.
- Editor-in-Chief of Renewable Energy and Deputy Editor-in-Chief of Energy.
- Editor of the book Artificial Intelligence in Energy and Renewable Energy Systems, and of the McEvoy’s Handbook of Photovoltaics.
- Author of the books Solar Energy Engineering: Processes and Systems, and Thermal Solar Desalination: Methods and Systems, published by Academic Press/Elsevier.
Prof Rafiqul Gani, CEO of PSE for SPEED Company (Thailand and Denmark), Freelance Professor
- Co-founder & President, CEO – PSE for SPEED Bangkok, Thailand
- Distinguished visiting professor at Zhejiang University, at Texas A&M University and an adjunct professor at Korea Advanced Institute of Science and Technology (KAIST).
- Served as an editor-in-chief of Computers and Chemical Engineering journal and currently serves in the editorial advisory boards of several journals.
- Awarded Doctor Honoris Causa degrees from University Politehnica Bucharest, University of Pannonia and Babes-Bolyai University.
- Ex-president of the EFCE, a member of the Danish Academy of Science, a Fellow of the AIChE and a Fellow of IChemE.
- Received the AIChE Computers in Chemical Engineering award in 2015; the EFCE Jacques Villermaux Medal in 2019 and the AIChE Sustainable Engineering Forum award-2020.
- Current research interests: the development and application of computer aided methods and tools for modelling; property estimation; process-product synthesis, design & intensification; and process-tools integration with emphasis on energy, sustainability and application of a systems approach.
- More details can be found at: https://www.pseforspeed.com/about/prof-rafiqul-gani/
Presentation Title: Optimal Integrated Facility for Oxymethylene Ethers Production from Renewable Methanol
Prof. Sandro Nižetić, University of Split (Croatia)
Presentation Title: Effectiveness of Cooling Strategies for Photovoltaic Technologies
Prof Min Zeng, Xi’an Jiaotong University (China)
Presentation Title: Numerical Analysis on Thermal-hydraulic Performance of a Printed Circuit LNG Vaporiser
Prof. Sharifah Rafidah Wan Alwi, Universiti Teknologi Malaysia (Malaysia)
Presentation Title: Industrial symbiosis planning and design: Process integration tools and guidelines for industrial site planners
Presentation Title: Modeling of Renewable Energy System based on heat pump, PVT and underground energy storage
Prof Chew Tin Lee, Universiti Teknologi Malaysia (Malaysia)
Presentation Title: Current Trend in Food Waste Valorisation
All the videos are accessible throughout the conference period. Delegates can watch without the restriction of different time zone.
Presenters/participants are encouraged to login daily to reply/ask questions (by typing).
Wednesday, 18 November 2020 – Thursday, 19 November 2020
- Welcome and Opening Address by Doc Ing Jiří Hlinka, PhD (Vice Dean) and Prof Dr Jiří Jaromír Klemeš, DSc, dr h c (Head of SPIL)
- Plenary Lectures
- Lectures by Invited Speakers/ Guest of Honours
- Keynote Lectures
- Selected Presentation
- Discussion Forum (Topic): Impacts of COVID-19 on Teaching and Research: Challenges and Opportunities
Friday, 20 November 2020
- Closing and Award Ceremony
- Introduction of SPIL 2021 in conjunction with PRES’21
- Continued discussion
Distribution of Participants
Distribution Update (Live)
The affiliation of submitted abstracts include:
University of Oxford (United Kingdom), University of Surrey (United Kingdom), Carnegie Mellon University (United States), De La Salle University (Philippines), University of Maribor, (Slovenia), China University of Petroleum (China), Xi’an Jiaotong University (China), Universiti Teknologi Malaysia (Malaysia), Aalborg University (Denmark), Tomsk Polytechnic University, (Russian Federation), Cracow University of Technology (Poland), Széchenyi István University Gyor (Hungary), University of Split (Croatia), Aristotle University of Thessaloniki (Greece), Koaceli University (Turkey), University of the Witwatersrand (South Africa), Cornell University (United States), University of Manchester (United Kingdom), The Hong Kong Polytechnic University (China), Brno University of Technology (Czech Republic), Universidad of Salamanca (Spain), FEU-Institute of Technology (Philippines), Lund University (Sweden), University of Queenland (Australia), Universidade Tecnológica Federal do Paraná (Brazil), Macquarie University (Australia), Bulgarian Academy of Sciences (Bulgaria), Texas A&M University (Qatar), Chongqing University (China), Qingdao University of Science and Technology (China), Industrial University of Santander (Colombia), The University of Nottingham Malaysia Campus (Malaysia), CERTH (Greece), Sichuan University (China), University of the Philippines Los Baños (Philippines), Centre for Applied Research at NHH (Norway), Charles University (Czech Republic), Jan Evangelista Purkyně University (Czech Republic), Tomas Bata University (Czech Republic), Heriott-Watt University Malaysia (Malaysia), Slovak University of Technology (Slovakia), IIT Bombay (India), Van Hien University (Vietnam), Lomonosov Moscow State University (Russian Federation), Xiamen University Malaysia (Malaysia), Cyprus University of Technology (Cyprus), National Taiwan University (Taiwan), China University of Petroleum – Beijing (China), Technical University of Kosice (Slovakia), EVECO Brno s.r.o. (Czech Republic), Arid Agricultural University (Pakistan), COMSATS University Islamabad (Pakistan), Sapienza University (Italy), Vienna University of Technology (Austria), Polytechnic University of Bari (Italy), Tohoku University (Japan), O.M. Beketov National University of Urban Economy (Ukraine), University of Zagreb (Croatia), Budapest University of Technology and Economics (Hungary), Hanyang University (Republic of Korea), MINES ParisTech (France), D. Serikbayev East Kazakhstan Technical University (Kazakhstan), Universitas Nahdlatul Ulama Sunan Giri (Indonesia), Institut Teknologi Sepuluh Nopember (Indonesia), Graz University of Technology (Austria), Asian Institute of Computer Studies (Philippines), Chung Yuan Christian University Taiwan (Taiwan), The Nature Research Centre (Lithuania), Vilnius University (Lithuania), Universiti Sains Islam Malaysia (Malaysia), Mansoura University (Egypt), Ho Chi Minh city University of Technology (Vietnam), University of Nis (Serbia), Technische Universitaet Berlin (Germany), Universitas Muhammadiyah Mataram (Indonesia), Dalian University of Technology (China), State University of New York College at Buffalo (United States), King Mongkut’s University of Technology Thonburi (Thailand), King Abdulaziz University (Saudi Arabia), Chulalongkorn University Pathumwan (Thailand), Islamic Azad University (Iran), University of Barcelona (Spain), Center for Research and Technology Hellas (Greece), National Institute of Advanced Industrial Science and Technology (Japan), Czech Technical University in Prague (Czech Republic), Fudan University, Shanghai (China), Islamic Azad University (Iran), Tsinghua University in Beijing (China), Research Institute of the Czech Academy of Sciences (Czech Republic), University of Tuzla (Bosnia and Herzegovina), University of Jos (Nigeria)
List of Accepted Abstracts
A total of 216 abstracts are accepted. Total participants = 315 (presenters and participants)